Date of creation : 1998
President: Antonio Jorge Figueiredo Lopes
Vice President : Agostinho Costa
Secretary-general : José Alberto Maia Pereira
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number : +351 21 30 27 207
Antonio Figueiredo Lopes has been president of EuroDefense-Portugal since september 2005. A former Minister of Defence and Minister of Home Affairs, after having participated in six previous governments as Secretary of State, he was also elected as Member of the National Parliament and Member of the European Parliament.
He held various technical and senior management positions in national public institutions and, in 1988, he was appointed by the European Commission as special Adviser for the development of administrative cooperation between the Commission and national public administrations, within the scope of the Single Market objectives. His last assignment as a senior european official was later at the think tank Notre Europe, now the Jacques Delors Institute, in Paris.
He performed other outstanding functions such as: director of IEEI-Institute for Strategic and International Studies; vice-president of the Scientific Council of EIPA – European Institute of Public Administration (Maastricht); vice president of INA – National Institute of Administration, member of the High Council for National Defence and consultant to IDN – National Defence Institute.
He has published several studies and thematic articles in national and foreign magazines on security and defence, european affairs and administrative reform.
The Vice President
Agostinho Dias da COSTA
During his career performed numerous duties and was assigned to different units and headquarters in the Military and in the Police, both at homeland and abroad.
Appointed to the following positions in the homeland:
- Chief of Staff of the Army Airborne Brigade.
- Commander of the Airborne School.
- Head of the Plans and Policy Unit of the Joint Command and Staff College (currently named Military University Institute).
In 2010, with the rank of Major-General, assigned to the Guarda Nacional Repubicana (GNR – a Police with military status) and appointed to the following positions:
- Director of the Guarda Nacional Repubicana
- Head of the GNR Training and Doctrine Command (GNR TRADOC), a Command structure responsible for GNR human capital enhancement.
- Head of Operations Command.
- Deputy Commander of the GNR.
Appointed for the following assignments and missions abroad:
- From March 1992 to March 1993, during the conflict of former-Yugoslavia, assigned as United Nations Military Observer (UNMO) to United Nations Protection Force (UNPROFOR).
- From October 1995 to November 1998, appointed as Head of Operations at the 3rd Italian Division-ARRC Headquarters, in ITALY.
- From July 1999 to May 2000 appointed as Head of Operations of the Multinational Brigade West/United Nations Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK).
- From September 2008 to September 2010, with the rank of Brigadier General, appointed as Chief of Staff of the European Rapid Operational Force (EUROFOR COS), in ITALY.
Education and Training
Higher Education/University Degrees
- Graduation in Military Sciences, Military Academy, Lisbon.
- General Staff Course, Army Staff College, Lisbon.
- Master’s Degree in International Relations, Lusíada University, Lisbon.
- Flag Officer Course Joint Command and Staff College, Lisbon.
- Top Senior Police Officer Course: The Stockholm Programme Realization, 2012. Sponsored by the European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Training (CEPOL).
The Secretary General
- José Alberto Maia Pereira. Born on June 27, 1961, in Almeirim, where he lives.
- Retired bank employee, specialist in marketing and SMEs. University teacher, trainer, consultant, lecturer, writer, journalist, photographer.
- PhD student and master’s in management, post-graduated in credit risk analysis, graduated and bachelor’s in business management. Researcher at COMEGI, Lusíada University, Lisbon.
- Secretary-general of Eurodefense Portugal. Rotarian since 2003. Member of Santa Casa da Misericórdia de Santarém, Order of Economists, ICAA – Intellectual Capital Association and Hot Club of Portugal. Participation in several volunteer initiatives. Articles published and conferences held in Portugal and abroad.